Monday, July 14, 2008

Miss Universe 2008 Pageant..FIRST TIME FOR ME TO GET TOO EXCITED ABOUT IT!

Latin beauties conquered Miss Universe once again! I actually thought Asians are slowly gaining the limelight in the pageant after Miss Japan Riyo Mori was crowned last year.

But it turned out that Latinas really are the ones who still rule the Miss Universe Pageant.

I wasn't able to watch the start of the pageant. In all honesty, I wasn't able to see our country's representative, Jennifer Barrientos.

I was only able to watch the TOP 15 pageant until the end. As the candidates were scaled down to ten, I already have my favorites. Miss Mexico - Elisa Najera and Miss Colombia - Taliana Vargas. I liked Miss Venezuela, but not much --YET!!

As the TOP 5 were chosen, which wasn't much surprising that only one non-Latina has been included (Miss Russia), the question and answer portion took place. I liked Miss Colombia's answer to her question, but I knew that she had some points taken for not beating the 30-second time limit given for them to express their answers.

When Miss Venezuela was called, I listened carefully to the question: What do you think is the difference between men and women?

I was actually surprised with what she answered. "For men, the fastest way to reach a point is to go straight but for women, the fastest way to reach a point is going through curves and fixing everything." Right there and then, I knew she will win.

I didn't know. As the Runner-ups were called, I wanted Mexico to be in the second-runner up position, but I failed because she was the 4th Runner-up.

As Miss Russia (Vera Krasova) and Miss Dominican Republic (Marriane Crus Gonzales) were crowned 3rd and 2nd Runner-ups respectively, I got all too excited. Why? Because my First Runner-up and Miss Universe bets were left to compete for the top position in the pageant.

And there, I was screaming that Colombia will actually be the first runner up and Venezuela will be the 2008 Miss Universe. And I wasn't wrong. When Colombia was announced as the 1st Runner-up, I jumped up and down from where I was standing. I was like, OMG! My bet actually won!

So yeah, that's it. It was truly unbelievable. I wasn't much hooking up with the Miss Universe pageant but I do not know why I got all too excited with this year's competition. Maybe because I found out that I really have good judgment in choosing who really deserves to win.

On the other hand, during the evening gown competition, flashbacks of candidates slipping, falling and stumbling while walking on stage were playing in my mind. Then I commented, "Maybe there won't be any "trips" that'll happen this time."

And then Miss USA (Crystle Stewart) was called and boom! She slipped and sat on the floor. But I thought that it wasn't too embarrassing though. She actually stood up with much confidence and continued walking across the stage. It was another history of "TRIPS" in the Miss Universe Pageant.

Miss Thailand (Gavintra Photijak)'s National Costume was also the best. No wonder she won the BEST in NATIONAL COSTUME title. It was indeed a very unique style of costume and I was truly amazed at her confidence in representing her country's creativity through the costume. It was also a brave risk to wear something people don't expect Miss Universe candidates to wear and I guess that's one reason why many voted for her.

And finally, the Miss Universe 2007, Miss Japan - Riyo Mori took her final walk as the title holder on the stage with a really unique and eye-catching get-up. A classy tuxedo that was quite surprising for her to wear. Before, previous Miss Universe walks across the stage wearing gowns complete with gadgets i.e. crown, sash, scepter and cape. This year, Riyo Mori caught the attention of everyone by simply tying her long hair back in a ponytail and wearing simple tux without the said gadgets all over her. It was really a very attractive sight.

I guess I'll be hooking up to the Miss Universe pageant starting next year. It was fun.


Miss Universe 2008. Venezuela - Dayana Mendoza


Miss Universe First Runner-up 2008. Colombia - Taliana Vargas


Miss Universe Second Runner-up 2008. Dominican Republic - Marriane Cruz Gonzales


Miss Universe Third Runner-up 2008. Russia - Vera Krasova


Miss Universe Fourth Runner-up 2008. Mexico - Elisa Najera


Miss Universe 2007. Japan - Riyo Mori


Riyo Mori on post-pageant pictorial



Miss Universe 2008 Best in National Costume. Thailand - Gavintra Photijak

0 comments: