Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling


Ohmigosh! I couldn't believe it! The Harry Potter book series that I've been hooking for since 2002 has finally come to an end! And yeah, I only got the chance to actually finish reading it this week; since I stalled on Chapter Ten exactly a year ago.

It was so much than I was expecting. The war that situated at Hogwarts was something really not in my expectation list. LOL! But it was awesome! The way Harry's friends stood up for him, fought for him, and even died for his safety, only showed true Loyalty in the Wizarding World.

Well, I also salute the Death Eaters. They've remained loyal after all those years even if Lord Voldemort had nearly died sixteen years ago. Bellatrix Lestrange was the most loyal of all. I still didn't like her though.

Aside from the wonderful highlights, I didn't like the people who died in the book. Fred Weasley! Oh jeez, I'm glad Joie didn't have the chance to read Deathly Hallows anymore or she'll freak out! Lupin and Tonks' loss, too were very unprecedented; not that time when they have their little Teddy already. Too bad, really. Even Hedwig and Mad-Eye shouldn't have died that way.

Harry's love for Ginny was so well focused in this book. Even though they weren't together, Rowling still managed to show Harry's affection for his ex-girlfriend when she made Harry stare at a little dot in the Marauder's Map which was Ginny. And how Ginny popped in his mind whenever he got the chance.

Ron and Hermione's love story was funny. It was quite sudden. The way Ron showed her affection to Hermione before their declaration of love in the Room of Requirement, was just like the way Harry would have done. So it was unexpected although a lot of Ron-Hermione shippers were already wishing for it.

If there's one character that I'd love the most all throughout the seven installments of the Harry Potter series, it would be Severus Snape. Since the Sorcerer's Stone, although Snape has evidently showed his loathing towards Harry, he still bounded to protect him even after the rise of the Dark Lord. I didn't know why, at first. I just thought maybe because Snape has really turned loyal to Dumbledore. But well, I got my answer in the 7th book.

Here's an excerpt from the review I made on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince last November 26, 2005. More than 2 years ago. =p

Let me pick up some lines from the book…this was from chapter 27: The Lightning-Struck Tower:

“We’ve got a problem, Snape,” said the lumpy Amycus, whose eyes and wand were fixed alike upon Dumbledore, “the boy (Malfoy) doesn’t seem able—“
But somebody else had spoken Snape’s name, quite softly.
“Severus…”
The sound frightened Harry beyond anything he had experienced all evening. For the first time, Dumbledore was pleading.
Snape said nothing, but walked forward and pushed Malfoy roughly out of the way. The three Death Eaters fell back without a word. Even the werewolf seemed cowed.
Snape gazed for a moment at Dumbledore, and there was revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face.
“Severus…please…”
Snape raised his wand and pointed it directly at Dumbledore.
“Avada Kedavra!”
A jet of green light shot from the end of Snape’s wand and hit Dumbledore squarely in the chest.

Okay, okay…for those who haven’t read the book yet, forgive me for being such a spoiler but honestly, Dumbledore’s death is all over the internet and it is not true that he will come back to life on the 7th book…as Dumbledore mentioned, no spell can bring the dead back to life…so definitely, Dumbledore can never be alive again…

The question is, does Snape really wanted to kill Dumbledore?...is he really back on the dark side?...

Well here is my theory …on the early chapter of the book , Hagrid has mentioned that he overheard Dumbledore and Snape arguing in the forest…I can’t really remember the exact argumemt but as I can remember, Hagrid said that Snape was asking about something and sort of doesn’t want to do what Dumbledore told him to do…Dumbledore got mad and those stuff…so, could it be that Snape has told Dumbledore about Malfoy’s plan of killing him?...and when he said, “Severus…please” did that actually mean that Dumbledore is begging Snape to kill him?...could it be that Dumbledore got angry with Snape because Snape does not want to do what Dumbledore wanted him to do and that is to kill him?...


That was my theory regarding Snape killing Dumbledore up in the Divination Tower right after Dumbledore went weak from drinking the potion to retrieve Voldemort's locket. And indeed, I have been right!

I couldn't believe it. When Harry watched Snape's memories through the Pensieve, I've become more and more excited about the part when he killed Dumbledore. And I was cheering when I read that he really did plan the killing, not with Narcissa or Draco nor Voldemort; but with Dumbledore himself.

Most of my friends hated Snape for what happened in Half-Blood Prince, but I continued to support him and cover up for him by stating my theory all over again. I didn't fail though. They asked me how I came up with the theory, and I of course credited two more friends - Dhawell and Elaiza - for the visualization of our theory. The three of us were the ones who actually came up with it, trying to deny the fact that Snape has gone over to the Dark Side once more.

Harry's right. Severus Snape was probably the bravest man that he ever knew. And yes, he is. He was the only one who have actually gathered up his courage to betray the Dark Lord as well as make him believe he was on the dark side. He did it, and even if I was soooo sad that he died, his existence had still been worthy enough for Harry to name one of his sons after him.

I'm so sad! I couldn't believe that I wouldn't be waiting for another Harry Potter book anymore. I couldn't believe that after 6 years, there'll be no more Harry Potter for me. I couldn't believe that Harry's adventures would have to say goodbye in the book already.

Oh well, things like that happen. But Harry Potter was probably the only book series that I've been hooking for for 6 years.

And of course, it didn't fail me. I was happy to have read this book and watched the movies. J.K. Rowling would still be my number one author.

I'd definitely grab her new book. I bet it'll still be as great as the BOY WHO LIVED.

0 comments: