Friday, April 04, 2008

One Missed Call


Kou Shibasaki as Yumi Nakamura

SYNOPSIS:

Yumi Nakamura (Kou Shibasaki) grows concerned when her friend Yoko receives a mysterious message on her cell-phone in her own voice, with a time-stamp in the future. A few days later, at the time appointed on the cell-phone message, Yoko is thrown in front of a train. Though the police determine the death a suicide, Yumi grows even more concerned when another friend receives a threatening message on his cell-phone, presaging another death.

Yumi is approached by Yamashita Hiroshi (Tsutsumi Shinichi), whose sister's death was also linked to an odd cell-phone message, and the two team up to solve the mystery. They are unable to prevent the death of another of Yumi's friends, but soon trace the calls back to the case of a woman whose daughters were regularly admitted to a local hospital with suspicious injuries. The two investigate the woman's last known whereabouts, an abandoned hospital. Once there, Yumi confronts a vengeful ghost in an attempt to break the chain of violent deaths. - WIKIPEDIA

REVIEW:

This movie was really fun! This was so far the only good Japanese horror movie for me since The Ring and The Grudge.

Indeed, Japanese ghosts have a hi-tech way of killing people. Through a cellphone which is of course, a trend in the country.

I love the way the characters die on the time of their death and I love the way they were forewarned about thier death. There were also scenes where I get goosebumps and I get a bit scared, especially when there were parts where I get surprised by a sudden appearance of the "ghost".

It was also a very unbelievable ending. As the mystery has been solved, I couldn't actually believe who the ghost was and who was doing all those deaths.

I also love the creepy ring tone used in this movie. So much different from the one used in the Hollywood version. This one was scarier. I remembered before when my friend told me that she has a "One Missed Call" ring tone and played it for me. I haven't seen the movie yet that time so I just ignored it when I heard it.

But as I've watched the movie last night, I kinda got obsessed ith the ring tone and the moment I woke up this morning, I immediately downloaded it and made it my main Message Alert tone and Ring Tone as well.

I haven't seen the Hollywood version of this movie yet but I'm sure nothing can surpass the way this movie was made.

0 comments: