Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Janina San Miguel - Bb. Pilipinas World


Ok, the telecast for the pageant was shown last Saturday but I was out partying with my friends so I wasn't actually able to watch it.

My friends who have seen the telecast told me about this Bb. Pilipinas World and how she embarrassed herself during the Q & A portion. I wasn't informed well so last night, my brother showed me her video in Youtube.

So I watched.

Paolo Bediones: Janina, how are you?
Janina San Miguel: I'm fine.
Paolo Bediones: Alright, so you won two of the major awards - Best in Long Gown, Best in Swimsuit, do you feel any pressure right now?
Janina San Miguel: No, I don't feel any pressure right now.
Paolo Bediones: Confident! Alright! Please choose a name of the judge.
Paolo Bediones: We have Miss Vivienne Tan.
Vivienne Tan: Good Evening.
Janina San Miguel: Good Evening.
Vivienne Tan: The question is, what role did your family play to you as candidate to Binibining Pilinas?
Janina San Miguel: Well, my family's role for me is so important b'coz there was the wa- they're, they was the one who's... very... Hahahaha... Oh I'm so sorry, Ahhmm... My pamily... My family... Oh my god... I'm...
(Paolo Bediones: Pwede ka magtagalog,ok lang) Ok, I'm so sorry... I... I told you that I'm so confident... Eto, Ahhmm, Wait... Hahahaha, Ahmmm, Sorry guys because this was really my first pageant ever b'coz I'm only 17 years old and ahahaha I, I did not expect that I came from, I came from one of the taf 10. Hmmm, so... but I said dot my family is the most important persons in my life. Thank you.

All througout the 2-minute video feed, my hand was on my mouth and I was saying, "Oh My God" over and over. When the video ended, Kuya asked me, "Unsa man imong masulti?" (What can you say?). I was like, "Kuya, Oh My God!"

Yeah, that was the reaction I had when I saw the video. OH MY GOD. I couldn't believe that she was able to win Bb. Pilipinas World with what she did.

I mean, setting the grammatically wrong sentences aside, she wasn't able to answer the question that even a grade school student could answer. Her answer had a lot of twists and her bottomline was "her family's role was very important" which as a matter of fact, didn't answer the question.

Paolo Bediones told her that she can speak Tagalog but she didn't do it, she continued on embarrasing herself as she spoke. "I did not expect that I came from, I came from one of the taf 10." Okay, so it took me a while to decipher the true meaning of that statement. Probably, she meant that she didn't expect to be chosen as one of the TOP 10. In fact, I DIDN'T EXPECT IT, TOO! hahaha!! That was a really crazy pageant and the fact that she won Bb. Pilipinas World, I could say that there was something fishy going on.

The news said that she is an AB Mass Communication student. I personally couldn't believe that a Masscom student wasn't able to construct simple English sentences and yeah, someone like her was able to make it into the pageant.

The news also mentioned that she was being compared to Melanie Marquez, but as far as I can remember, Melanie won Miss International because she was able to answer the judge's question correctly even though she had some flaws in her English grammar. I myself couldn't even bring to compare the two of them. Because Melanie may not know how to speak English well, but she can answer a question correctly.

I agree with what Ruffa Gutierrez said. The pageant isn't only about beauty and body. It should also be about intellect and your ability to even speak the INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE properly.

A lot of people who commented in Youtube said that Janina shouldn't be laughed at in fact, she should be supported because there were even other international candidates who don't know how to speak English as well.

But that wasn't my point. My point was the fact that she spoke so confidently with that grammar that only she has known and with that answer that only she was able to understand was what was embarrassing.

It's not an issue of language. It's an issue of INTELLECT and the ability to understand. If she wasn't able to understand the question clearly, then she could have asked for anyone to translate it so that she would be able to understand. She wasn't able to answer the question. Or maybe she was, just that we knew that that wasn't actually the answer because the question was WHAT and not WHY.

Just like what she said at the end, her bottomline was that her family are the most important persons in her life. Did that answer the question?

Think again:

QUESTION: What role did your family play to you as candidate to Binibining Pilipinas?
JANINA's ANSWER: but I said dot my family es the most important persons in my life. Thank you.

Have you thought enough?

2 comments:

Mheems said...

Ate neym, sobrang sabog!
Grabe, I'm like... Syhe's kidding, right? It's disturbing to know that she will represent the country in the upcoming Ms. World COmpetition, sana lang she will not humiliate the country.

Neym Ü said...

awee?!! uu, super unbelievable and super nakakahiya! =P