Saturday, January 17, 2009

Charice Pempengco. Who is she??


I didn't know her.
I don't know her.
And I don't intend to know her.

Wait, I think I know her...Oh, yeah, she's the little girl with the big voice who was discovered in Youtube. She's guested on Oprah's show, Ellen Degeneres' show and even that English show with the guy I forgot.

Aside from that, I don't know anything about Charice anymore.

She took a step to fame, but I still didn't intend to know her. Why?

Because I'm not among those who took her fame to an advantage. What, becoming an instant fan just because she sailed across the globe and was seen with famous international stars? Oh please! And where were you before she was even known? I bet you don't even know some Charice Pempenco existed.

I really wonder why some people have this "balimbing" manner. The sort of behavior wherein you stick for a particular thing just because it's in the limelight. Don't you think it's one way of showing you're not being true to yourself?

I make my mom as an example. She didn't know who Charice was, until my sister showed a video of her on Youtube, and Ellen Degeneres asking her to come visit her in her show. And my mom, in that instant was like, "Wow! She's really great! Oh look at her! She's so awesome!"

And after the Ellen show was aired, mom became an instant Charice fan. I couldn't help but roll my eyes. What's with this instant fandom thing? Just because she's become popular? Jeez, wake up! Do you even know anything about her aside from her name?

And them mom would start looking for Charice anywhere on TV. Indeed, starting her rise to fame, she had been guesting in a lot of TV shows already. But that didn't move me.

Sure, I admit, she's had a really great voice, but other than that, I don't find anything special about Charice.

My friend Dhawell even asked me this question before: "Do you like Sarah?" and I was like, "I looove Sarah." Then he asked again, "How about Charice" I looked at him, shook my head and said, "No."

Then he raised his eyebrows. "Why? She's becoming famous." And I answered. "So? That doesn't mean I'll be an instant fan, or whatever. I wasn't a fan of Charice, and no matter what she achieves, I'll never become her fan."

It's really not that I didn't like her. But I also can't find reasons to like her either. You got me? Charice is great, but that doesn't mean she was able to convince everyone to become her fan.

I still look up Sarah Geronimo, and no matter where Charice's fame may bring her, I'd never falter. Because why would I settle for someone whose name I only knew after she had been well-known?

And another thing. I think this whole Charice Pempengco being an international star thing would make her head grow bigger in the future. I don't need a fortune-teller saying that to believe it would happen. The huge international industry is just too much for her young age to handle.

It's really not an execution of crab mentality or something. In fact, I'm quite proud that another Filipino has imprinted a name over Hollywood. But then, I don't think Charice would be able to keep her feet on the ground with all this stardom happening to her.

I just hope it won't be a reason for her downfall in the future.

UPDATE: JANUARY 19

I saw in Ang Pinaka yesterday that Charice is Number 7 in the Most Searched Local Celebreties on the Internet.
Hmmmm...I don't actually count myself as one of those who searched for her in the internet. I think the only time I searched for Charice Pempengco on the net was when I looked for a picture to post in this blog. haha! =p

0 comments: