Monday, November 03, 2008

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown


Oh, I can't believe I was able to answer the second Riddle of the Cryptex during Robert Langdon and Sophie Neveau's search for the Holy Grail.

What would he believe is the orb that ought be on Newton's tomb?

At that question, I remembered Newton's theory on gravity and quickly counted the letters that spelled APPLE. it consists of five letters which would also spell the password for the second cryptex. I was right. The password was indeed APPLE!

Anyway, For around twenty minutes after finishing the book, I was kinda disappointed. All throughout my reading, I was beginning to anticipate what the Holy Grail would look like or perhaps, its hiding place.

So it was such a surprise that nobody saw anything. Not me, not robert and Sophie, not even Sir Leigh Teabing.

But then, I realized, that maybe that's the primary purpose of the story. To find the true meaning of the Holy Grail that was kept hidden for centuries, even though it couldn't be seen physically.

Some said that after reading this book, Catholics would have their faith questioned. But I did not. Because most of the history that was written in the book were facts and I have already heard of them even before the book became a phenomenon.

I already knew about the conspiracy theory regarding Christianity. The history of the holy Grail and even the reason behind celebrating December 25th as the birthday of Jesus Christ.

Our deep faith in our God couldn't be simply threatened by a fictional book intended to entertain, not to scare. The Da Vinci code is a book not to destroy our faith as Christians, but to understand the things that we once believed as Satanic.

0 comments: