Tuesday, May 08, 2007

ANG DAKILANG PINOY!! =P

You're probably wondering why I used that title, right? Well you'll find out soon!!

I'm proud to be a Filipino, but sometimes, I couldn't contain myself from being ashamed with my own race. I wasn't much used to insulting the Filipinos. I just don't understand why my kababayan cannot quite understand simple signs and instructions.

Me and my friend were in downtown just a few hours ago and since our city (Davao) has just acquired the 'traffic lights', we were already practicing to be good citizens by abiding the simple traffic rules and regulations. Of course, the red light means stop, yellow means ready and green is go.

But vehicles were not the only ones which needs those signs. People who walk also need signs especially when they cross the street. When the green light is on for the vehicles, the pedestrian intersection will flash the red hand which means 'stop' for those who are planning to cross the street.

So me and my friend stopped under the heat of the sun and waited for the 'walk' sign. But I was surprised when we saw at least three people look left and right and when they were sure that the coast is clear, crossed the street, ignoring the 'red hand' signal. When I saw it, i wasn't able to control myself and i just merely shouted, "Pinoy! Wow! Pilipinong pilipino!" One of those who crossed the street looked back at me and I just smiled at her as me and my friend laughed. Then I added, "Dakilang Pinoy", hence the title of this blog! Oh well, in my mind that time, if these three people would get hit by a car, I would really hurl if they would cry and demand payment for their physical injury or worse, would file a case against the one who hit them. When in fact, if you look back at the situation, it was their fault that they crossed the street even though the signal was still on the 'red hand'.

One girl arrived and probably she heard what I said that she also stopped and waited for the 'walk signal'. So we waited since it was on the main street, we have to wait for at least 2-3 minutes. It was so hot that time but we ignored it, thinking that it was better than breaking a simple rule.

So the 'walk signal' was flashed and we crossed the street, my friend commenting about the girl. "I guess she already wanted to cross the street but she heard what you said and stopped, too!" LMAO! I really laughed hard when he said that. Well I was thinking that you don't need other people to tell you that you were doing the wrong thing. I mean, there's a clear sign that they shouldn't cross the street but they still did. If that's still the case, then I think putting up those signs aren't necessary anymore; they would only add up to the electric bill payed for by the government.

Anyway, while me and my friend were crossing the pedestrian, a car just passed by without even bothering to stop or even just slow down to let us cross. And to think, that was the pedestrian lane and we were supposed to cross the pedestrian so it was their responsibility to stop or slow down. I just merely said, "Whoa! Nasa pedestrian tayo!"

Just like what the late President Ferdinand E. Marcos said, "Para sa kaunlaran, disiplina ang kailangan" means, for our progress we need discipline. Not discipline in our country but discipline amongst ourselves. Because social discipline can grow out of personal discipline. If you couldn't follow simple traffic rules like that, then how can you follow national laws? If you are still going to ignore the flash of the traffic lights, then what's the use of the government's efforts to provide us with such things?

Oo nga naman, mga Pilipino tayo at nahihiya man akong sabihin ito, pero nakikita ko talagang sobrang tigas ng ulo ng mga Dakilang Pinoy! =]


0 comments: