Thursday, June 02, 2011

Hukad

Hukad is a Visayan term which means to "scoop up". It is usually used in terms of food, especially rice when you need to scoop up some rice and put it on your plate.

Hukad Restaurant was opened in Abreeza, and it sounded tempting because number one, it is Davao City's original, and I knew it would satisfy the tongues of Davaoenos.

So, my family and I tried to eat there one time. They had best sellers such as Kare-Kare and Crispy Pata. We ordered Kare-Kare but it wasn't available anymore so we just resorted on Laing, Shrimps, Crispy Pata, Pork Sinigang, and Pancit Guisado.

The ambiance was great though. The staff were good in serving and were very approachable. The restaurant was a little packed, too, considering that Hukad in Abreeza is probably it's first in Davao.

What caught my attention was their "chandelier" design. Do you know what "Puso" is? It's steamed rice wrapped in coconut leaves. I don't really know how it's made, but it tastes a little different than a normal steamed rice. You can actually eat it alone.

Since they try to be as native as possible, they cover their plastic plates with a banana leaf.

Finally, our order came. I wasn't able to take a picture of the Laing and Fried Shrimps because we were so hungry we devoured it first.

So the Crispy Pata was big, but its bones are what made it big. It tastes normal, and could become tastier with the help of spicy vinegar. It was crunchy enough though. :)

The Pork Sinigang was all pork fats. We only found a couple of meat which my brother ate. The soup was sour enough though. The waiter was supposed to have the meat changed, but we just decided to get on eating all the fats. lol! :))

The Pancit Guisado was too sweet for a Pancit Guisado. lol! :)) It was also painted dark, and my sister even commented that they are rich in soy sauce. I really love noodles, but this one wasn't too good for my taste. :)

Funny thing about Hukad is it literally does the "scoop up" thing. Like scooping up a lot of rice for their Bottomless Rice promo. I got really full after eating, not because the food was great, but because the rice just kept on coming for us. lol! Plus, I loved their container, really. :))

Finally, I was able to have a picture with my steamed rice container. hahahaha! :))

So yeah. For me, Hukad is just around 6/10. The 6 goes to the rice, the ambiance, the waiters, and the rice container. lol! :))

0 comments: